If you cannot see the green search bar then please log in:

It’s simple to search for your Local Right to Build registers, just tell us the town, city or postcode nearest to where you’d like to build, and we’ll help you find the relevant Right to Build register.

Please note, you must be a registered user to use the Right to Build Portal, and be logged in to use this search. By using this search you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions, and you will be listed as a user of the Self Build Portal – NaCSBA’s consumer site. The Right to Build Portal is NaCSBA campaign, and you may have come to this page from Google, or via the Self Build Portal itself.

The Right to Build registers

The Right to Build Portal is a core campaign for NaCSBA. On this page you can search for Right to Build registers near you. The results list the registers near to the location you’ve searched by, telling you how many people are on those registers. From here you can link directly to the council’s register and register with them.

We’ve created this campaign page for two main reasons – the registers can be hard to find on council’s websites, so we wanted to make this process easier. But it also allows us to see how many people are searching for registers, and we can share this anonymous evidence with Government, to show how many people are interested in building.

If any of the results don’t look right, or you know something we don’t then let us know at info@nacsba.org.uk.

What is the Right to Build

Everyone in England is entitled to sign up to the Right to Build registers in their neighbourhood, under the Right to Build legislation.

Exercise your Right to Build by signing up to your local self build registers. NaCSBA can help you register with the relevant local authority through the Right to Build Portal, which links you to all the registers near you.

Since 1 April 2016, the Right to Build requires local authorities in England to maintain a register of people and groups in their area who want to have a role in an owner-commissioned home, whether that be for Custom Building, Self Building or through community-led housing, such as cohousing or Community Land Trusts. People can either sign up as individuals, or as groups of people who want to build together.

NaCSBA’s Right to Build Portal has been created to ensure the public has easy access to their local Custom and Self Build Demand Register.

The Right to Build is a piece of legislation for English authorities, that supports aspiring custom and self builders who want to build their own homes. There is no equivalent for Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales.

Councils must ensure they have sufficient ‘shovel-ready’ plots to meet this demand, and they have three years from signing up, measured from the end of October each year.

To do this, they need to give suitable development permission (planning permissions or permissions in principle) for these serviced plots.

More detail about the legal basis of the Right to Build can be found on the Right to Build Briefing Note, on the Right to Build Toolkit.

Unhappy about the charge – Complain!

Some councils are now charging people to sign up on their Right to Build register (see the FAQ, right). If your council is doing this, and you’re unhappy about it, use this template letter to register your complaint.

Download the complaint letter template to object to charges.

Some may be applying eligibility tests to their Right to Build register, which while they are allowed can seem unfair.Use this template letter to register your complaint if you feel they are unjustified.

Download the complaint template to object to eligibility tests.

This will be saved to your downloads folder. You’ll need to Google your council’s complaints department, but we suggest emailing it to: the council complaint’s office, the council’s planning office, your local MP (find yours, here) and copying in NaCSBA as well (Please check you are happy with our Privacy Policy about how we handle this data if you do copy us in on your letter).

NaCSBA is looking into those councils that charge, to ensure that their fees are reflective of the costs associated with running the register.

NaCSBA’s role in the Right to Build

In July 2011, working closely with the Government, NaCSBA published a detailed Action Plan to promote the growth of the UK self build industry. Alongside this we also posted a report looking at how self build works in a number of overseas countries.

As a result, the Government’s Housing Strategy, published in November 2011, endorsed and promoted self building as a means of delivering volume housing for the first time.

In October 2014, the Housing and Planning Minister Brandon Lewis MP announced a consultation process on the Government’s proposed Right to Build scheme. The Government appointed 11 vanguard councils to test the practicalities of operating the Right to Build across the country.

On 27 March 2015 the Government published its response to the 2014 consultation, which confirmed its intention to take forward the Right by preparing regulations and guidance setting out the detailed operation of the local Registers in 2016. The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 received Royal Assent on 26 March 2015.

Right to Build registers: frequently asked questions

Council’s do have the right to charge you for signing up to the register. It is up to each council to decide if they charge or not, and by how much, although the regulations says that the charge must be reasonable, in connection with the costs of running the registers. Some registers have levied hefty fees, most none at all. NaCSBA is working to improve the situation for anyone wanting to Self-build.

The following is a list of councils that charge in some way for the register (as at Feb 2019): Allerdale, Ashford, Basingstoke and Deane, Bracknell Forest, Broadland, Camden, Cheshire East, Cotswold, Daventry District Council, Derbyshire Dales, East Cambridgeshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, Fenland, Forest of Dean, Gravesham, Guildford, Hart, Horsham, Islington, Mole Valley, North Norfolk, Norwich, Peterborough, Purbeck, Ribble Valley, Runnymede, Rutland, Scarborough, Shropshire, South Staffordshire, Spelthorne, Stevenage, Stroud, Tandridge, Wandsworth, Waverley, Welwyn Hatfield, West Lancashire, West Lindsey, Wyre Forest.
Click on Complain for a template letter if you’re unhappy about paying, in the menu above.

A local connection means that you live, work or have some other connection to the area. This may be required by councils for their register, but by insisting on this they must run a two-part register, with Part 1 containing this criteria. Councils then legally have a duty to this Part 1 list in providing plots. Anyone without a local connection will joint the Part 2 list, which means the council may use the list to inform policy, or even supply plots, but there is no duty to do so.

A permissioned plot refers to a plot of land suitable for Self or Custom Build, which has been granted planning permission. A serviced plot is a plot where the infrastructure, such as roads and access, have been taken care of, and services run to the plot. So the plot is in a ready-to-build state. All Custom Build plots are serviced-plots, where as Self-build plots may be serviced-plots, or could be undeveloped land where the owner has to negotiate road access and services.

No, councils must host a register under the Right to Build Legislation, but they can do this through a third-party company, such as the Local Self Build Register.

The Right to Build registers allow you to register your interest, and often require you to share information about the sort of plot you require.
Unfortunately this does not mean that the council will permission the sort of plots that would suit you, in the area you prefer. Rather it’s a way of demonstrating to the council the amount of people who are interested in building and the sort of thing they are interested in building. The council will consider this as part of their housing provision plans.

The Right to Build legislation is a piece of English legislation, and there are no comparable pieces of policy, nor registers, in the other countries of the UK. Glasgow is running its own trial Right to Build register.

Yes, but you must register as an individual as well. A group could be private individuals pooling resources and buying power by working together, or community-led housing groups like cohousing or Community Land Trusts.

NaCSBA is keeping a close eye on the progress of the Right to Build registers. They came into being in April 2016, and the first three-year base period ends in October 2019. At this point, each council should have granted planning permission on enough plots to meet the numbers that signed up between April-October 2016.
Progress is mixed, and varies from council to council.
NaCSBA will be monitoring the situation and discussing the outcome, and next steps with Government if it looks like not enough plots have come forward across the country.

You have the right to speak to someone in your local planning department and ask what progress is being made locally, as well as how many people are on the registers.
If you feel that your local authority is not acting on their Right to Build duty, you can put pressure on them to meet their legal obligations.
Consider writing to both the councils and your local MP, and ask others who are interested in building their own home to do the same. It may be worth contacting your local paper to see if they’d be interested in reporting on the progress – or lack of it – happening locally.

Yes, all the registers support groups of people joining together – this might be a group of private individuals pooling resources and buying power by working together, or community-led housing groups like cohousing or Community Land Trusts.

Local authorities have the choice to charge for the register if they wish, and prices can vary. Part of the logic for this is for councils to identify real Self-builders ready to build from dreamers. NaCSBA is working to help standardise the approach.

Like with charging, local authorities have the choice to put local connection tests in place, to try to prioritise local people. These vary, but are typically people who live, work or have a strong connection to an area. Again, NaCSBA is working to help standardise this.