Following several recent announcements in support of custom and self build, Government recently announced it would launch a £100 million Brownfield Land Release Fund this month.
The Brownfield Land Release Fund will support brownfield development, estate regeneration, development on public sector land and, importantly, self and custom-build serviced plots in coming forward. The announcement reflects government’s ambition to create more new homes for England’s cities, and is available to all councils across England, with the exception of Mayoral Combined Authorities.
Notably the guidance states that “a significant portion of this new £100m will to go supporting self and custom-builders – a growing sector which Government is committed to.” Government has urged councils to prepare their bids, although this is a moot point until the prospectus is launched.
Andrew Baddeley-Chappell, CEO of the National Custom and Self Build Association said: “This is more welcome news for the custom and self-build sector. The investment in bringing forward carefully selected sites for serviced plots of land offers the opportunity to deliver a number of exemplar sites across England.
“These will act as a further catalyst for further growth as England seeks to catch up with the rest of the world with regards the level of quality, innovation and choice in our new homes market.”
Wider Custom and Self Build support announced recently includes:
- Announcement of a government review of the Right to Build legislation to ensure it’s working to support custom and self-builders
- Announcement that the “the data councils collect on self and custom build in their area will now be published annually” by the government.
- Announcement of the forthcoming launch of a government Help to Build equity loan scheme for custom and self-builders
Plus, recently launched by the Right to Build Task Force:
- Launch of Custom and Self-Build Planning Guidance to support greater delivery
- Launch of a new website with updated advice notes www.righttobuild.org.uk
Housing Secretary Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP recently said “We are backing people who want to design and build their own home and today I have launched a review to ensure councils provide enough land and take proper consideration for these homes when making planning decisions in their area.”