Archive: Self-build on a Shoestring
Self-build on a Shoestring was a unique ideas competition, run in collaboration with Grand Designs Live, open to all, where you have to design homes that can be built for a tiny budget.
Self-build on a Shoestring was a competition run by NaCSBA, looking for affordable and buildable ideas for owner-commissioned housing. The competition ran for several years, and last ran in 2017.
It was a creative way of generating ideas for affordable and buildable ideas for owner-commissioned housing.
We looked for cost-effective, green and beautiful designs. Selected entries were displayed at Grand Designs Live and the winners shared a £5,000 prize fund.
It was launched as part of National Custom & Self Build Week in May each year, with a September deadline prior to the winner’s ceremony at the Grand Designs Live event in Birmingham in October.
- This competition is open to all.
- Your design must be capable of being customised to suit the owners – so you will need to show a number of internal layouts and provide a menu of finish or specification options.
- The Starter Home should work as a standalone or terraced property, and might also be stacked to deliver a modest block of maisonettes or flats.
- We want entrants to design a Starter Home that provides a reasonable living/dining area, kitchen, bathroom, study area and one or two bedrooms.
- We are looking for cost-effective, beautiful and green designs.
- Selected entries will be displayed at Grand Designs Live and the winners will share a £5,000 prize fund!